Sunday, October 25, 2009

Don't be a remnant

Courtesy of Urban Dictionary (official dictionary of the baberhood):

remnants
A 'remnant' generally refers to a small leftover portion after the main part no longer exists (as in leftover cloth), but for our purposes: the last few girls still at the bar/club as closing time approaches.

"I think I'll stay a little longer and wait around for the remnants."


When you wake up in the morning, and all you can remember from the last hour of your night are a bunch of babes wandering around in a stupor, shuffling between the bar and the bathroom, not being particularly charming, or even very much conscious, you ask yourself one, singular, age-old question: why didn't I go home earlier?

Nothing productive ever happens during those last 60 minutes at the bar. In fact, counterproductivity is par for the course. Beer-goggle-induced mang-jangling decisions are made, monstrous portions of disgusting food are consumed, and your standard disasters occur during this period of time. Disasters that, interestingly, could be averted by one simple action: going home.

Follower and future guest-blogger BK Babe recounts the tale of literally losing her grip on the bar one night in the wee hours, and almost falling straight backwards onto the floor, right there in front of everyone. This is not an ideal situation. In fact, it's one that would probably require her to not show her face in that bar ever again. Such a disaster can easily be prevented and this is when the mantra should hit: don't be a remnant.

Should it hold true, then, that "friends don't let friends be remnants"? Nah, I don't think so. If a babe wants to stick it out to the bitter end, she can count on me to be right there with her.

-Goldie Wilton

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Goldie. Heelllooooo Babes!

    Yes, falling off the bar could definitely been avoided had I gracefully departed ways at 3:30am instead of 4:30am. Please note, I was a remnant at this point. I had guy friends still at the bar, but let's be real, all they're usually good for is being your beer pong partner. They don't care if you're climbing on the bar and making an a$$ of yourself. And nothing stops that behavior faster than the cold, hard glare from your BFF that says "stop, you're a hot mess".

    This also lends to a separate issue of being at the bar when they call last call. This is generally a tragic sight for anyone still around. Hopefully, you're not at a bar that simultaneously turns on the lights. THAT, is the definitive key to exit. Shield your eyes, put your head down and run.

    Oh and just for the record, I was leaning across the bar kissing the owner goodnight, not dancing on it. Both generally inappropriate activities, however, I fully support the kiss and run.

    ReplyDelete