Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sometimes, when my upstairs neighbor sets his shower to just the right temperature, I can hear a faint whistling coming from the inside of my babepad bedroom walls. This frequently comes around 6:00 a.m., and, as I'm almost always fast asleep at this time, the whistling works its way into whatever I happen to be dreaming about at the moment. This morning, in my dream, the whistling was the noise inside Wizard and hubby Ya'akov's old-timey cobbler shop as they worked to repair worn-down shoes.

Which got me thinking, while we're certainly the first generation to clearly define our beloved baberhood, we're definitely not the first set of babe friends to reside within its friendly confines.

Here, a look back at the babes who may have been here before us:


1900's: Though confined by corsets and an inability to vote, these babes could sure scoot through the streets of Lakeview on their bikes. As far as I'm concerned, there's no doubt that once away from the watchful eye of that mang on the steps, they started making trouble in the baberhood.







1920's: Check out these speakeasy babes. Believe it
or not, this photo was actually taken at
Higgins. Check out the babe second from the right. Though she's smiling, you can tell she's really thinking, "That dang Capone, he never called me back after we mang jangled last Thursday."











1940's: While it may seem that the baberhood is all fun and games, we also know how to bring home the bacon. Our DubDub2 (WWII) foremothers weren't all that different. How else were they supposed to keep themselves busy when all their mangs went off to war?








1960's: Ah, the 60's. A time of hedonism to the
max. I like to think we'd get along with these babes just fine - just maybe without the LSD (except for Wizard, of course). I mean, look at them, they're feelin' those late night Big Shitty grooves.











So the next time you stroll through the streets of our fine hood, please take a moment to remember the babes who walked there before you. The baberhood just wouldn't be the same without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment